Copyright registration in India is enrolled under Copyright Act, 1957. It provides a kind of safety so that the work carried out by the creator of work cannot be copied by anyone and to restore the uniqueness of the product. There are bundles of rights under Copyright like communication to the public, the rights of reproduction, adaptation, and translation of the work.
Copyright is basically a legal right which has been provided to the creators of literature, dramatics, musical and artistic work and even the producer’s films and sound recordings. Sometimes even businesses and startups get copyright registration related to instruction manuals, product literature and user guides. Usually, copyright is possessed by a creator of the work, but sometimes even the employer of its creator or the person who has authorised the work can own the copyright.
The Copyright protects the following areas
- Dramatic and Musical work (i.e. Drama, Skit, Play, Movie,etc)
- Artistic work (i.e. Logo, Monogram, Design, etc)
- Software / Computer Program (including website/brochure/profile)
- Work of Architecture
- Cinematograph Film
- Sound Recording (i.e. A Cassette or a Record)
- Website, Web contents, Home page
- Personal KYC Details of the Applicant
- Power of Attorney
- Three Copies of work
1. Establishes a public record of the copyright holder's ownership.
2. Enables copyright holders to sue infringers in federal court.
3. If made before or within 5 years of publication, establishes sufficient evidence in court concerning the validity of the copyright and the facts stated in the copyright certificate.
4. If registration is made within 3 months of publication of the work or at any time prior to an infringement of the work, the copyright owner is entitled to seek statutory damages and attorney's fees in federal court. Without registration, only an award of actual damages and profits will be available, and these can be quite difficult to prove.
5. Allows the copyright owner to record the registration with U.S. Customs to protect against the importation of infringing copies into the US.